Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Cock Tales

Debra Ehrhardt, the award-winning writer of Jamaica Farewell, is at it again with Cock Tales.



Dear Friends,

Thanks to your support,  I've been performing Jamaica Farewell for over ten years, I’m now very excited to be previewing my new show Cock Tales: Shame on Me! in Georgia at Seven Stages, 1105 Euclid Ave NE in Five Points on Sat, Oct 1st at 4 and 8pm. When my husband heard the name of my new show, he about lost his mind. I gently explained that his penis was not the first I’d encountered in my life, and that Cock Tales and all my one-woman shows have come from my own life experiences. When I began writing this piece, I thought I was writing about sex. But, I came to realize that sex is an entirely different subject. There is nothing new in “Cock Tales” about sex. I cant shed any light on human sexuality. I am no expert on that subject. But, when it comes to overcoming guilt, that is an area where I am an expert. Guilt is something that we have all experienced. It is something that many of us have taught our children.

To the degree that we can more fully liberate ourselves from the guilt that strangles our most joyous impulses, we are able to live our lives as more fully realized human beings. Hopefully, before the evening is through, I will have worked through my guilt and come to a place of comfort with my own actions.

My other plays have all been long narratives. But, all my shows are autobiographical and I feel as if they've been leading up to this show. Its a progression of boldness. Cock Tales: Shame on Me! is very un-Jamaican because Jamaicans are extremely private and ultra conservative. I had to muster up my courage to talk about my alcoholic father, my family life and even breaking the law in my previous shows, Invisible Chairs, Mango Mango, and Jamaica Farewell. Now, In Cock Tales: Shame on Me! I'm revealing the boldest things I've never told. Everything Ive ever written has led up to this. Bold. Bolder. Boldest. Cock Tales: is a whole new level of over sharing as there is nothing more personal than your sex life. I look forward to seeing you all there and greatly appreciate your continued support. And please, a beg oonu, nuh boddah bring granny or nuh very ultra conservative smaddy fi cuss an trace mi off after de show.

This is a small theatre with only 60 seats and there are only two shows, Oct 1st at 4pm & 8pm. We will be sold out so please get your ticket TODAY.

Here is the link for tickets. They are $40 but if you purchase now and put in the code JAMAICA in caps, the cost will be $30 until Sept 20th.

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2597695

Best,
Debra

“Ehrhardt’s flair and charisma as a performer are matched by the strength and brilliance of her writing. It’s those combined qualities that make Cock-Tales the great show it is.” —Total Theater LosAngeles

No comments:

Post a Comment